October 19, 2008 0 Total Comments
Good and bad news for me. The bad news is that I won't be able to watch the games today except for the opening kickoff. The good news is that I'll be watching my beloved Packers host the Indianapolis Colts this afternoon at hallowed Lambeau Field. I'll be starting Ryan Grant and hopefully my cheering him on will help him reach the century mark in yardage today. If he reaches that milestone, I hope the Packers organization will see fit to invite me back every week (it's still early in the morning - I know I'm dreaming).
What should we be watching for today? For starters, Tony Romo is expected to be active today, but he won't be the starter according to ESPN.com. Romo's streak of 32 consecutive starts ends today. He was at practice on Friday but did not participate in the team's drills. Brad Johnson (yes - that Brad Johnson from Minnesota 2 years ago) will get the start in his place. I don't think you'll find an expert who will tell you to start Johnson, but look at the upside. If there's little pressure put on him, he's got a fantastic array of receivers to throw to. He's got Barber in the backfield to keep the defense honest along with talented receivers for both long and short gains. This will be an interesting game.
As for the Packers/Colts game this afternoon, the Colts downgraded Joseph Addai yesterday from doubtful to out. That's good news for Packer fans, however Rhodes is still a talented back and should get some yardage today.
Shaun Alexander makes his return to the NFL today with the Washington Redskins. Temper your expectations. I haven't seen any of the waiver wire pickups list him as a viable option. If you're looking for this week's waiver wire pickups, head over to the FF Librarian for this week's edition. If Alexander surprises everyone, expect waiver battles come Tuesday morning.
Seneca Wallace will be starting for the Seahawks at Tampa Bay tonight. This brings the value of the Seattle receivers down a bit. Hope for Hasselbeck to get healthy.
Drew Brees has been a fantasy monster this year and could throw for more than 5,000 yards this year. I'm fortunate enough to have Brees on my team in the Stinky Tee Experts League. Colston and Shockey are expected to take the field today against the Panther's 2nd ranked defense. If the Panthers can't stop Brees, who can?
Reggie Bush had many owners concerned this week, however Sean Payton said that Bush will be ready and healthy for today's game. Start him as normal.
Thomas Jones has a great matchup this week against an Oakland defense that has given up 8 rushing TD's in 5 games. Jones should be refreshed after the bye week and has the potential to rack up fantasy points today. Favre also has a great matchup. Doesn't it give you the impression of a school bully beating up on the weaker kid? If you've got Favre, Jones, Cotchery, or Coles, you'll be rooting for the bully.
I'm looking forward to Monday Night Football, as many of you will be as well. There are so many top players in that game that many contests this week will be decided Monday night. If Matt Cassel can't find his groove against the Broncos, the game's up folks. Here's my advice to him: Take a deep breath and throw short passes to Moss or Welker. Get them the ball. They have the ability to turn short plays into significant yardage. You have got to get them involved. When I watch Patriots games (post-Brady), I am reminded of last year's injury to Jake Delhomme. His injury dropped Steve Smith's value like today's stock market. Those who don't pay attention to history are doomed to repeat it. Cassel - open your eyes.
Here's a quick rapid-fire report rounding out this week:
- Boldin and Chambers are out this week
- Updating earlier reports, T.J. Houshmandzadeh (ankle) practiced fully Friday and is expected to play Sunday against the Steelers, the Cincinnati Enquirer reports.
- Julius Jones could lose carries this week to Maurice Morris, and coach Mike Holmgren said he would like to see the touches between Jones and Morris "even out," the Tacoma News Tribune reports.
- Kellen Winslow is Questionable this week. Keep an eye on the Injury Report for updates.
- Bo Scaife could see a major boost to his fantasy value as both starting receivers Justin Gage (knee) and Justin McCareins (hamstring) may be out against Kansas City.
- Jet's fans should be happy that Coles participated a bit during Friday's practice and is expected to play today.
- Eddie Royal will play Monday night
- Calvin Johnson will play today. I haven't found anyone who wants to talk about his value. Williams is now in Dallas so expect double coverage on the guy all day long. Kitna's out so the passing game is still in question. This is not the year to be in Detroit.
- Jon Gruden said that Joey Galloway will be a game-time decision today. Nothing like last minute nail-biting for Galloway owners.
- Clinton Portis may not be 100%, but he'll be starting today anyway.
My final word for today...Go Pack Go!
Good luck this week to everyone!
Be the first to comment on this post
You must be signed in to post your comments
About Fantasy Football Nerd
Fantasy Football Nerd Features
My Account Draft Buddy What is the Draft Buddy? Lineup Analyzer NFL News Fantasy Football Affiliate Program
Fantasy Football Extras
Fantasy Football API Fantasy Football Resources Spoofmercials
NFL Weather Celebrity Stock Market Game Movies I've Watched
Copyright 2013 TayTech, LLC. All rights reserved.
Fantasy Football Nerd is not affiliated with the NFL or the NFL Players Association